We have some print and video materials suitable for classroom and home schooling use.
1. "All About Maple Sugaring" - A highly acclaimed classroom guide and curriculum for teachers and home schoolers. Developed by the Massachusetts Maple Producers Association and Massachusetts Agriculture in the Classroom for teaching elementary school children "all about maple sugaring." Includes poster (not laminated), coloring book, and "Make Your Own ..." brochure, items 2-4 below. For sale to Massachusetts school teachers, for $8.00 Postpaid via Priority Mail (if you send a request on school letterhead). For all others, out of state and home schoolers, the cost is $19.00 Postpaid via Priorty Mail shipping . (Priority Mail shipping takes only 2-3 days). Also available as part of our Comprehensive Teacher's Package, which includes the Sweet Tradition video. See item #7 below.
Maple sugar production provides educators with a unique opportunity to explore a food production in their classroom while incorporating a wide variety of learning experiences.
The maple sugar learning activities included in this educator packet provide several subject matter experiences. In addition to teaching materials on how maple syrup is made and maple history, the learning activities included range from simple counting, addition, subtraction, spelling, reading, writing, units of measure, to art, critical thinking, and social studies.
The teacher is encouraged to utilize these learning activities in coordination with a field trip to a Massachusetts sugarhouse or, if this is not feasible, use as a stand alone teaching process. The learning activities are created to provide quality learning experience with a minimum preparation time. Just duplicate and distribute.
2. Large four-color laminated poster, detailing "How we make Massachusetts Maple Syrup." $8 ppd.
3. Four-page coloring brochure for kids with "what it takes" information and a simple pancake recipe. 25 for $4 ppd.
4. Make Your Own Maple Syrup brochure. One available free to individual teachers. Limit 5/school.
5. "A Sweet Tradition - The Love and Labor of Maple Sugaring" This 20 minute color video covers all aspects of maple sugaring; from tapping, gathering, and boiling, to the finished product. Recently filmed with Massachusetts children who are involved with the annual maple syrup harvest. Narrative and sound track. Available for free use, or copies are available for sale for $25.00, postpaid via Priorty Mail. (Priority Mail shipping takes only 2-3 days). Also available as part of our Comprehensive Teacher's Package, which includes the All About Maple Sugaring classroom guide and curriculum above. See item #7 below. Specify video tape or DVD format.
6. The Massachusetts Maple Producers Directory - a listing of over 100 sugarhouses that are open to the public, along with much factual maple information. Tells you where to go to see maple sugaring happen in person. Available for free.
7. Comprehensive Teacher's Package - Includes the All About Maple Sugaring classroom guide and curriculum (item #1 above) and a copy of A Sweet Tradition video (item #5 above) together in one package at a reduced price. For Massachusetts school teachers (with a request on school letterhead) the cost is $25.00 postpaid via Priority Mail. For all others, out of state and home schoolers, the cost is $30.00 via Priority Mail shipping. (Priority Mail shipping takes only 2-3 days).Be sure to specify video tape or DVD format.
8. "Making Maple Candy & Cream" A 10 minute instructional video showing how easy it is to make maple candy and maple cream. This package with eliminate all your fears of making these fine confections. Simple, easy-to-follow directions and visual demonstrations show how to make maple candy and maple cream both by hand and with a candy or cream machine. Includes a 16 page instruction manual and recipes. For the home candy maker or professional maple producer. The cost is $22.00 via Priority Mail.. (Priority Mail shipping takes only 2-3 days). Specify video tape or DVD format.
9. The North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual - The complete handbook for sugarbush management, and the production and marketing of all pure maple products. Fully updated and revised in 2006. Current information and recommendations relating to all aspects of the industry are presented. The manual, which includes over 400 diagrams, charts and photographs, covers everything you need to know about maple sugaring from tree to table. For the beginner or the experienced producer, your answers will be found here. Beautiful color cover, 330 pages on glossy waterproff paper, 8-page bibliography. The cost is $35.00, including shipping via Priorty Mail. (Priorty Mail shipping takes only 2-3 days).
For any of the above materials, send a request and appropriate funds to:
Massachusetts Maple Producers Association
PO Box 6
Plainfield, MA 01070
Please make checks out to : Mass Maple Association Sorry, we cannot accept credit card orders.
For a lesson plan on the World Wide Web, written by two high school teachers, visit -
The Maple Syrup Lesson Plan, at www.stevesauter.com/Maple_Syrup_Lesson_Plan.html